Friday, October 26, 2007

five years ago (-today-)

It's funny how people say
"it's funny that blah blah..."
When often times there's nothing funny about it at all. It's funny for me to look back five years in a present mind to recall what had happened. How that day is etched in my memory, how many days are carved in. And why is it that certain dates are so easily rememebered, highlighted boldly on a calender hanging in my mind? A date is a simple assignment of a word and number so one can return with ease to a file cabinet and pull out a manilla colored folder. Dates record relevant, and sometimes irrelevant, history; aid in planning for the future. Without them we would be without design, without neatly organized files. And there are files I wish I could go back and rewrite, files I would love to burn, files I would love to read through a second or third time. Where am I going? you may ask as I am right now. I'm grateful for the dates I recall (most know I can barely remember my middle name or that boy that kissed me in first grade). I look forward as I often look back in wonder and amazement where five more years may take me and what dates will be carved then.

No comments: